Thursday, July 07, 2005

Dear Family,

Well, it's Sunday. Since we didn't have a preparation day this week, they let us write today.

Sunday is supposed to be the best day of the week. We are allowed naps. How can one not keep the sabbath day holy when a "day of rest" seems so divine?

We've been working very hard. The days are like weeks, but it is often said about the MTC: "The days are long, the weeks are short."

I've run into Elders Powell and Gilbert a few times since I've got here and they seem to be doing very well. Elder Powell says he can't believe he's been here three weeks. I can't either, 3 weeks seems like an eternity.

The days seem long because, well, they're 16 hours long filled with things to do. We usually get up at 6:30 am (well, we always do that), eat breakfast at 7:00, go to class at 7:30, have lunch at 11:30, go back to class or study at 12:15, go to dinner at 4:30, back again to class or study at 5:15, end at 9:30, get in pajamas, district and branch and room prayer, write in journals, then lights out at 10:30.

I know you're wondering who my companion is. His name is Elder John Gibbons and he is from around Seattle, Washington area. He is a good companion.

Chinese is very hard, but we are making good progress. We can pray (and always do) and bear our testimonies in Chinese. We try to use it whenever possible.

The food here is good, in fact eating is usually a highlight of of the day. Today is fast sunday, so eating won't happen that much today, I guess but that's okay. We really got he extra mile at the MTC: we're fasting for 25 hours, because of our schedule.

Speaking of highlights of the cay, we also get mail tsice a day. I think I've gotten a letter about every day, and it really makes me happier, so thank you for all your letters and keep writing. Also, if it's hard to write ONLY once a week, write as much as you like.

When I got here, they informed us that there's a new shot all elders are required to have. It will cost 87 dollars, and I will be called in sometime soon to get it. I'll use the credit card. I was told this by Sister Gilbert, Grandma and Grandpa's next-door neighboor.

Do you think you can find a small tape and CD player that also records? If so, I would like one, If not, I will just buy a handheld tape recorder here for about $25. It will help with my Chinese, and I would like to send tapes home.

My Chinese name is Mai Zhanglao. I will probably get a nametag soon with this on it when I go to the field. Zhanglao means Elder. Mai means wheat.

We got to stay up late last night and watch the fireworks from the stadium of fire. It was nice.

My district is 10 people in the branch, and we all go to class together. We all are going to english-speaking places speaking Mandarin, so we have that in common.

Oh, Elder Gibbons ( or Ji Zhanglao in Chinese) is also going to Carlsbad, so I have to try extra hard to get along with him because we might be together a long time.

Other members of the district are going to California, New York, England, and Australia.

Thanks again for the letters, I love you all. Wo ai nimen. I'll write to you again on Thursday, my preparation day.

Love,
Elder Myers
Mai Zhanglao