Thursday, July 14, 2005

MTC Week 2

I hope you're all doing well. I'm sure you've heard by now from Bethany that I am fine.

My problem was that behind my back bottom right tooth it was painful and swollen. I thought it might have had to do with a bone fagment from the wisdom tooth operation, which they said might have happened. However, he said it was a viral or bacterial infection probably related to the strep I had had. HE wrote me a perscription for an oral dental paste and it helped a lot: It doesn't hurt anymore. Anyway, it made for an adventurous Friday.

Last Thursday, we ate lunch with two Elders in our branch. One said he was from Midland, Michigain. I said mom was from there... any way, we got talking, and it turns out we visited his ward, and I was in his Sunday school class. His name is Elder Pierce. The funny thing is, that he had always looked familiar.

Also fairly humerous is an incident from that lunch time. An elder asked if anybody had any Mayo, and everybody said, "Mei-You" (pronounced as "Mayo") which means, no we don't have it. Frustratedly, the elder asked, "Does and Non-Chinese elder have and Mayo!?!"

I really like P-days and Sundays.

I have been playing 4 square at every single Gym period. It is amazingly fun and it really helps the days go by easier. I'm getting better at it, but some elders are VERY good.

Thank you so much for the Christmas package! Wow, I was amazed at how accomodating, and, dare-I-say, almost spoiling you you guys are. Everything on my wish list? you guys are gonna be careful or I'll expect to get every single thing I want. :) the speakers are wonderful, the CD paled is just like the one I'm used to! The ink saved my life; now I can write with my favorite pen again. The statue is amazing; everyone thought is looks just like Elder Gibbons. Becky, you are a great artist, keep it up.

It was also great to get letters from you! I love getting letters, which is why I've written.. 5 already today.

Oh, and the fruit by the feet are delicious, thanks!

Mom, how did you know Elder Gibbons is from Bainbridge Island?

I'm glad I don't have to listen to Michelle's EFY CDs this year, but Elder Gibbons has some, so I'll have to fight him off!

I got the cookies from Lisa too, they were pretty good! Thanks for having them delivered mom.

Chinese is going well. I have 300 flashcards now, and trying to get as much as I can learned. We taught in Chinese for the first time yesterday morning. It's very hard, but it's doable! We just have to trust that the Holy Spirit will more than make up for our ineloquence. We teach again on Saturday in the TRC with BYU chinese speaking students roleplaying. Never again do we practice in English.. kind of frightening, but I know we can do it.

I had a really amazing experience yesterday. Our district went to the Referral Center, hoping we could get the missionaries over to 20 people in an hour and a half. We only got 9, but we had some great experiences.

One of my calls was a follow up to a lady named Svetlana who had ordered a video. I was calling to offer another free video about strengthening famlies through the Gospel or something. She wasn't home, though, her husband answered in a heavily accented Russian Accent. When I explained why I had called, he amusedly replied, "I am a pastor!"

I thought I was in for some trouble then, but I was wrong. I asked him about his faith and church, and he is a Christian Jew, teaching the Jewish people that Jesus Christ is the Messiah. His congregation is 90% Jewish. We both felt we had a lot in common because we were both trying to spread the knowledge of Jesus Christ, and we had a respectful great conversation. and I don't mean respectful as in we were both well mannered and proper and innoffensive; there really was a respect for one another. As he talked, he said, "I know the Bible is true and the word of God because I prayed and the Holy Spirit testified."

Oh boy did I ever pull Moroni 10: 4-5 right then. I was able to bear my testimony and teach him more about our faith. Although after 20 minutes of talking he had to go and said he was too busy to talk to missionaries, I knew that I had really truly borne my testimony to a man who was at least somewhat open to what I had to say. When it was over, I was so adrenalized that I had to take a break. It was awesome. He was a RUSSIAN JEWISH MESSIANICAL CHRISTIAN PASTOR. And for 20 minutes, I taught him the gospel.

Anyway, that's about all for this week. It's going well. Love you all!
Love, Elder Myers