Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Mary schedules baptism on Saturday

July 25, 2006
Dear Family,

Actually, we did celebrate pioneer day; we had a ward activity. The Ward Band came, and I was able to pull out my harmonica and show them just how much I've lost my groove in the last year. I've got a video on my camera of it.

It sounds like you guys had a fun week. I'm glad to hear that.

Yeah, it was 108 here the other day. It was the hottest day IN A DECADE. In some places around here, it was the hottest day IN RECORDED HISTORY. I hope you guys can find some sort of air conditioner.

I'm glad you're still able to ride your bike up in Seattle. Was the weather as hot as that hottest day you told me about? Or is it more temperate when you ride? This week, every day has been at least 95 until night time, when it drops down to about 80. It's pretty nasty.

We were able to get Kyle and Mary to attend a baptism. Mary is being baptized this Saturday. Her brother Everett passed away yesterday, but she still wants to be baptized while family is in town for the funeral. Mary is so amazing; when she's just chit-chatting she's very senile, but when we pray for the Holy Ghost to open her mind and enlighten her, and then get down to teaching, she gives US the lessons, and all the stuff she's studied recently begins to make sense to her. It's really a cool experience; the Holy Ghost is real. She's been coming to church also, and she's ready for baptism. It's too bad that Everett died, but when I blessed him, the Spirit didn't tell me to heal him. I blessed him that he'd be comforted, that he'd know of Heavenly Fathers' love for him, and told him that whether it was God's will that he stay or go, we exhorted him to accept the gospel. We're going to teach Mary about baptisms for the dead, which I think will be a great comfort for her. The plan of salvation already made her remark, "Everybody should know this, because people don't need to be so sad when people die." Then she tried to think up ideas to share the message with everyone; I think she concluded that we should put the plan of salvation on dollar bills and scatter them on the beach. He he.

Thanks for the pass-along cards, mom. I'll be sure to use them.

We've been doing more street contacting ever since zone conference on Monday. A tactic that works pretty well is cards for a "3 simple ways to a happier family" book. Most people are pretty nice and open about it. Of course there are still jerks: "I have a happy family, and I already studied all the stuff in that book in college." "Uh... this isn't even religious. It's just a book on improving families cause we think that's important and we're trying to serve people." "I'll take your book if you read the New Testament." "I read the New Testament. Will you take the card?" "No!" Yeah, that was a real conversation we had yesterday.

We're going to the Newport Beach temple today. It should be good.

We ran into a couple other people that have good potential, but I'll tell you about them later cause I'm running out of time

Alex is doing great. He is still reading and praying lots. His mom is really open to letting him come to church and choose this as his religion, if he wants to. That's exciting.

The recent converts are still doing well. Everything's going pretty fine. I hope you're all doing well too. Have a super week. I love you all.

Love,
Elder Myers