Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Buddhism doesn't teach that

Dear Family,

How are you doing?

Well, I found out what was wrong with me. Pinkeye. I got clued in when my eye turned pink. It was viral, so the antibiotics weren't doing anything; I just needed to get better. I'm thinking I'm about there, though.

Sounds like fun having rain. I'm glad for it to start cooling down again.

Today we went to the temple. It was a great experience. Elder Sawyer is sick (From what? Pinkeye.) so Elder Jensen stayed back with him and I took 7 foot Elder Beyer to the temple. Elder Jensen gets to go in 3 weeks when he goes home anyway, so he didn't think of it as that much of a sacrifice.

One of the best moments this week is when we went to go teach a kid named Max Johnson - his dad is a member, his mom isn't. He's 15 and he's been active in the church all his life, but never been baptized. So we went over there to see what we could do to help. Turned out, when we got there, we ended up teaching his mom, who claimed responsibility for him not getting baptized cause he doesn't want to disappoint her. She's Buddhist. Lately she's been having a very strong feeling that she wants to be together forever with her family. Hmm, Buddhism doesn't teach that. So, long story short, now she's going to read the Book of Mormon with her husband. Awesome.

Emily's husband found a job. They've been coming to church every week since I got back down here in Chinese work. We'll see what we can do with that...

We started teaching a man named Jingfeng from China. We've met with him twice, and he's keeping his commitments to read the Book of Bormon. He's going back in a couple weeks, though. We've taught him the plan of salvation and the message of the restoration.

We taught Gavin Huang, and his roommate wanted to join too. That was fun. We taught the message of the restoration, and the roommate was fairly interested. We gave him a Book of Mormon.

Sunday we translated talks for the Chinese from English into Chinese. It's kind of frustrating when they ask people who only speak English, who aren't even high council speakers or stake presidency, to give talks and make us translate. It took us several hours to write out a translation: the talks were on Nauvoo. Not really the most typical sacrament meeting topic. Not really a topic with vocabulary that's really easy to just look up in a dictionary. But it was fun anyway.

3 new Chinese people came to English class last week. Up to 5!

Not much else happened. I spent some time with Elder Sawyer this week since he had the same sickness as I did, and he needed somebody to stay with him. So I got a lot of study in this week.
Well, I'm out of time, I love you all. Take care, be safe.

Love,
Elder Myers