Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Goodbye to Elder Jensen

Nov 7, 2006
Dear Family,
That's good to hear that the rains started. It was 90 degrees today. I'm not sure why.

Today, Elder Jensen left, and I got Elder Morena as a new companion. He is from Peru, but he's been in Provo for the last couple years: 2 years at a boarding high school, two years at BYU. So his English is fluent. He didn't know any Chinese before the MTC, but he's doing pretty well. I'm glad that I get to train him.

So, that wasn't a surprise at all at transfers. The surprise was - we're switching apartments back to the Penasquitos apartment. They didn't tell me, or Elder Bates who I am switching with, until today at transfers. So now I have to pack and move. It's a little frustrating, knowing that I could have done it all yesterday if I had known, but alas, it'll get done and it'll be okay. With the move, I may need to get a bike now, but I'm not sure yet. You'll know when there's a couple hundred dollars on the credit card bill :S. I hope that's possible financially right now. If not, use some of my money to pay for it.

Mom, that's awesome that you talked to a few people about the church on the field trip. Did you use some of those sweet pass-along cards you made?

Good job on the Faith in God, Lisa.

Elder Jensen had a lot of goodbyes to say. It was pretty hard for him and a lot of the branch. I'm sure the whole week was surreal for him. It was for me. On Friday, the branch had a party at the sunrise buffet for Elder Jensen. There were a few nonmembers there, and Sister Pong taught them. She has been doing a really good job with every referral we've given to her; it seems like all the former or potential investigators we refer her to start investigating. There were 4 nonmembers at church this week, all of them brought by Sister Pong.

The man at the computer next to me is reading the internet movie database and has been for quite a while. I think he is probably crazy. The whole time he is muttering about the information he's finding out, remarking about names and dates, carefully examining pictures, and it seems like he's a detective trying to put together the pieces to a mystery. His mannerisms are just like he's in a movie trying to discover the culprit behind a murder. He's probably seen too many movies. But he's just randomly clicking on the different links. I think we can draw a purpose-of-life parallel with this. A lot of people spend all their time, concentration, and energy searching for meaning in places where they really won't find anything that will bring them one iota closer to happiness. Sometimes you just have to step back, look around you, and see that the messengers of the gospel of everlasting happiness are sitting next to you; they wear big black name tags to make it really obvious. The purpose of life isn't hidden. It's in the open. So always look for the simple principles and truths of the gospel; study them and you will find meaning and happiness in life.

I don't really have anything else to write about. I think that I will have plenty to say next week. This last week went by very fast, and was mainly a lot of eating and a lot of goodbyes. So, until next week, goodbye. I love you all.

Love,
Elder Myers