Thursday, August 04, 2005

MTC Week 5

Dear Family,

First of all, thanks for the letters this week. It's always great to get letters.

It sounds like you've all been very busy. Good thing you have Grandma and Grandpa to be your slave labor!

Mom, it was awesome to get those brownies. It was good that you didn't send the ones you made on Monday, cause the mail staff got the day off for Pioneer Day! They were delicious anyway.

Wow, I just found a large beastly winged insect on me, it was scary. I killed it, though.

So, you're probably wondering about the situation with the toe. It's been hurting for a while, and it had been getting worse, so I decided to just go to the nurse to see if it was ingrown. It didn't take a second of looking at it for her to say "Ouch. Yep, it's ingrown." Thanks to mom's suggestion, they called Dr. Jaramillo's (our neighbor) office and made me an appointment for him for Tuesday. I figured I could make it 3-4 more days fine, and I did, but I was definitely ready Tuesday to have it fixed.

When we arrived, Sister Jaramillo got out of the car with a box of donuts for me from Mom. (They were very good, and are making me fat, so you probably shouldn't send many more... though it would be awfun hard to ever turn down more of those blueberry ones. I think they're my new favorites.)

Sister Jaramillo also had a card for me with some stamps... they are very kind. They told me not to worry about the copay too.

For the actual surgery, I first got the three most painful "numbing" shots I've ever had, in my toe. The nerves down there don't go out without a fight. Then after letting the anesthesia set in, he went to cut part of the toenail, but, oops, that part of my toe wasn't numb! So, after 2 or 3 more shots, I was numb enough to go ahead and cut the part of the toenail off, and it really hasn't hurt since. I soak it twice a day, and use neosporin.

Will you send me pictures of the houses you like? I think I get 5 votes myself. I hope you find something we'll like!

I got 3 more names done in the temple today. I will need more.

In the last 2 days, I've learned 125 words. If I keep this up, I'm going to really need some more humility... I think this counts as prospering in the language, and I need to make sure not to fall into pride because I'm able to memorize amazing amounts of words. I need to remember that I'm not doing it myself.

We had 2 only-Chinese days this week, and they went well. More missionaries come in 6 dyas, so that's exciting. All the old ones left, and it was hard to say goodbye to all of them at once, but it was a good reminder that the MTC does have an end. We also inherited a Christmas tree, some candy, and I got a robe.

Gospel study has gone very well lately, and I've been feeling like there's been some spiritual progress. It's kind of nice to just be able to study scriptures for a few hours a day.

So, all in all, things are going well. I've been well taken care of, and studying is getting more and more helpful.

Love to you all,
Elder Myers