Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mary was baptized, Alex is ready, Pray for Kyle

August 1, 2006

Dear Family,

Thanks so much for the letters you wrote on family night! It was awesome to hear from every one of you. I hope you can all write again soon. Girls Camp and Lisa's corresponding week sounded really fun. You girls have definitely grown funnier in the year I've been away. It must be one of the blessings of my missionary service. ;P. Becky, I'm disappointed you were only able to eat 8 sugar packets.

Oops, I forgot to bring the letters to the library to respond to them in my email, so just know that I really, really appreciated the letters from every single one of you and that I love you all.

This weekend, we baptized Mary without a hitch. Her first words after being baptized were "Wow!" It was pretty cool. She was confirmed the next day. That night, we had a zone tract-out, and two missionaries tracted into her. She told them about her baptism and confirmation and they thought she must be some crazy old lady, until we heard the story and set them straight. It was a good experience for all who were involved.

I got a referral for a little Chinese family who want to start coming to church, so we went down and met them at a ward party in Aliso Viejo (in another zone) and we're teaching them again on Friday.

We taught Alex again and he's doing well. His mom asked, "How do we get him baptized?" We said we could take care of that. He should be coming to church this Sunday. We're going to get him hooked into scouts.

We taught a few referrals and picked up a few new investigators this week. It was pretty good.

The big news this week comes regarding Kyle, though. We challenged him to baptism on Wednesday, with a date of Monday, August 14th. He accepted, and he was excited. He came to church on Sunday, fasting for the Lords help in telling his parents. We prayed for him also.

Well, from what I heard, he told them yesterday, and they absolutely flipped, to say the least. His dad threatened to entirely disown him if he joins the church. They already took away his cell phone, his car, and his job. And they aren't going to pay for his college. I haven't been able to talk to him, but he has many good LDS friends that told me what is going on. So it's a really tough situation. He turns 18 in less than two months. Some of us are fasting for him today. Please pray for him.

John Moran spoke in Sacrament Meeting this week and did a great job. I kept wanting to brag to people, "I taught him, that's my convert!" He's a great member.

On Saturday we were also able to go to Mission Viejo for the baptism of one of Elder Nielson's old investigators, Truc. He was excited to see her join the church.

We started doing service at the library. We shelve books mostly, and it's a pretty nice way to spend a couple hours. A guy started talking to us, trying to bash with us. He got really mad when I walked away after he made it very clear that he wasn't going to listen to anything we said. Oh well.

It's rained like 3-4 days this week. It's been much nicer weather here too.

That's really all that happened this week. Pray for Kyle. Thanks for writing, and I hope you guys have a wonderful week. Stay safe. I love you all.

Love,
Elder Myers