Tuesday, November 21, 2006

We are still in the Chinese branch

November 21, 2006
Dear Family,

How are you? I am doing well.

That's awesome that with the dead sea scrolls you got to see a lecture by Dr. Parry. He was one of my professors at BYU when I took a humanities course. Very good guy. He has written a lot of books too.

We are still in the Chinese branch; we just live in Penasquitos which is about 3-5 miles north of Mira Mesa, where we used to live. The church building where the Chinese branch meets is actually in Penasquitos. Sister pong is a temple square missionary from Hong Kong; all temple square missionaries get 4-5 months in the field, and she was assigned here. She's supposed to help us in the Chinese branch in any way we need her to, so we sent her to teach all the female potential investigators and she's doing a really good job.

This week, we went to go visit Mr. Huang and he wasn't there but one of his roommates invited us in. We taught him the first lesson, and he came to church. We have since taught them the second lesson together and they are reading the Book of Mormon. They are both good people. They have recognized the spirit.

Yesterday, we street contacted into a man who, I believe, is very prepared for the Gospel. He's not Chinese, but he works right next to our apartment. We taught him for 1 1/2 hours and got a return appointment for next Monday. We are supposed to keep teaching him until we find out which ward he lives in.

That's too bad that the Godmaker's guy is so well-known up there. Somebody had a book of his, and guess what his main quotes are to show what we really believe? Nope, not the Book of Mormon, not the Doctrine and Covenants. HIMSELF. He quotes the script he wrote for The Godmakers. Ridiculous. If people are stuck on anti-Mormon propaganda, you can always point them to sites like fairlds.org or farms.byu.edu.

Way to go inviting somebody to seminary, Michelle. Keep it up. Ask her if she'd be baptized if she knew that the church was true.

On thanksgiving, the Ng family has invited us over for dinner. That's where we went last year too... I think.

I completely finished the missionary tracting card this week. It has Chinese, Vietnamese, Spanish, Tagalog, and Korean. There have been several Spanish referrals from it already. I hope to have it distributed mission-wide by next week.

There were 4 investigators at church on Sunday, 2 of them new. So, it is going pretty well in the branch. 2 of them were our investigators, 2 were the sisters.

How is my Chinese? It's getting better. It's actually pretty good; I can understand about 90-95% of what I hear. I can't speak as well as I'd like, but I feel that I can teach the lessons, as long as I have the spirit. It's not as good as Elder Jensen's was, but I'm working on it.

Well, time is up. I hope you have a great week.

I love you all,

Elder Myers