Tuesday, November 28, 2006

We were led there to talk to them, and that was a pretty cool experience.

November 28, 2006
Dear Family,

We had a good Thanksgiving. Probably my last Thanksgiving eaten with chopsticks for a while.

Mom, I'm proud of you for how you shared the gospel with Karen. That was totally a success because you did your part. If every member of the church would be bold like that, we would reach President Hinckley's goal of doubling baptisms. How do you do it every day without being discouraged? Read Preach My Gospel Chapter 1 again.

This Sunday night, we planned to go finding, looking for people to teach. Thinking about street contacting, a certain place, a parking lot at the edge of the zone popped into my head. I had never been street contacting there. But, we went, and the parking lot was almost completely empty of cars, and we saw no people. I pulled into a parking spot anyway, and suddenly right in front of us was walking an aged man who looked Asian. He was Chinese, and I carried on a good conversation with him and his wife. They were just on a walk and had recently come from China. He seemed pretty interested, but he didn't know his address or phone number (he was living with his son; most Chinese parents don't really know their address and phone number). He said he'll call me. Why he and his wife were on a walk in an empty parking lot on Sunday night, I don't know. But we were led there to talk to them, and that was a pretty cool experience.

Mr. Huang and his roommate Mr. Han are still progressing. We started meeting with Henry (the 10 year old) again. That man we met last week on the street we taught again, and we have another appointment this Thursday. I assigned him 20 chapters out of the book of Mormon.

The tracting cards I talked about are a little card that every missionary carries with them. It has a little invitation to investigate the church on the card in 5 languages, and a place for the person to write their name, address, and phone number if they're interested. It's for use when a missionary runs into somebody that doesn't speak English. Several referrals have come that way already. It was just distributed mission-wide today. Hopefully it will be well-used.

One of the people I taught at the MCRD (marine boot camp) got baptized this week. I got to go watch and participate as he was confirmed. He's a good guy. His name is Dustin Matovitch.

We sang Christmas carols outside the Mega-plex movie theater in Mira Mesa on Friday. There were so many people there, it was insane. Several people came and just stood and watched and listened. It was fun. The sister missionaries talked to the people listening. They're not very good at singing. ;P

Well, that's about it. I hope you have a good week. Thanks for writing. I love you all,
Elder Myers