Saturday, April 07, 2007

We set a baptismal date

Dear Family,
How did you like conference? It was really good. The Saturday afternoon session was pretty interesting - the rededication of the tabernacle. It wasn't really as good as the rest though. I especially liked Saturday Morning and Sunday Afternoon. Elder Miller and Elder Taylor in our district had 5 of their investigators go to Salt Lake for General Conference. They got back yesterday and all of them want to be baptized. Those elders have 6 investigators with baptismal dates for next month.

We set a baptismal date of April 28th with the Twiggs. I hope it comes through. They've got a lot of changes to make, but they're completely willing to make them. When we asked them if they'd be baptized they said "absolutely." So, we're trying to stay close and talking to them every day.

I went to the bike store and had a couple repairs and upgrades made to my bike. I got a water bottle. The crank was actually coming off as I was riding it; I got a correct allen wrench to put it back on, but I was eventually having to stop every mile to tighten the crank back up. So, I went to the store, and they got me a new bolt and it's working fine. The biggest problem with my bike right now is that I can't raise the seat - it's one of those "Liahona -Mission" models that they sell at Missionary Mall, and the screw on the seat needs some 5-sided tool. I even went to the "tool depot" to try to find something and they had nothing that would fit it. I'll make sure to check on my tire pressure. I'm not racing on the bike; the hills are just VERY steep in some places. Most of the time, though, I can relax and enjoy it. The ocean keeps it cool around here.

This week, we had an appointment with the Linkowski's. We taught the plan of salvation and got a return appointment. Yesterday, we went to a family, the Manguses, where the father is the only member- and he's less active, but active in the ward's scout program with his 13-year old son. Elder Archibald and I are both eagles, so they really listened to us, and invited us to come speak with the scout group. As we left, we gave them our number, written on a pass-along-card, for finding Faith in Christ, and told them if they wanted the video, they could just tell us. They said they actually did, and so we're going back there next Monday to share the video with them. I challenged the son to read one of the four gospels before Easter and he said he would. There may be potential there.

We found a new investigator named Steven Wilson. He just found out he has diabetes, and had just stopped drinking a week before. He said he had met missionaries before but had felt unable to join the church because of his drinking. Now that he had stopped, he was really interested. He's also 400 pounds. We watched the Saturday morning session of conference with him. He wants us to talk to his mom about the church too. The big obstacle with him is, I think, smoking. He smoked 11 cigarettes during the one session.

We dropped Diana Whitney. She wasn't progressing and had decided (without praying, of course) that she doesn't want to get baptized.

That's about all the significant news from this week. It's great to hear that Michelle's keeping up with the missionary work. I hope you're all doing well. I love you all.

Love,
Elder Myers