Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I don't think the prophets of old had it very easy.

Dear Family,

How are you doing? I'm doing fine. The orange crop here was ruined? I didn't hear that. I hope the farmers have some orange insurance. It was pretty cold.

I got some news from Orem today. Nick Clark got home a couple weeks ago. Wow, crazy.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Michelle. I hope she gets in.

I should have my actual release date finalized this week. I'll let you know next Tuesday.

Steven Dow is doing pretty well. He came to church this week. He's still progressing; we taught him a few times. We lost contact with Evelyn this week; she didn't even show up to English class. We got Mr. Fan to church again this week, and set up an appointment for the library yesterday, but when we got here, we found that the library was closed, and we saw Mr. Fan leaving. We were 5 minutes late because Elder Moreno is compulsive about brushing his teeth. So, we have to find another time he's free.

I'm sorry, I don't have my planner with me, so I'm not sure of all the details of what happened and when and all that, and I don't think a lot really did happen this week. But, there was one cool experience that I wanted to share.

Elder King and I went on exchanges, and during the afternoon we went to go street contact by Scripps Ranch High school right after it got out. After over an hour and a half of contacting, there were no more kids, and our ride back was late, so we found a place to sit down about half a block away and read the scriptures for a minute. After just a few minutes, a school bus pulled up and a lady got out to smoke. She was waiting 15 minutes or so for when she had to pick up some kids at the school We started a conversation with her and it turned out that 1) Her mom used to read the book of Mormon, 2) she wanted to quit smoking and 3) She had just left her church and was praying for God to show her which church she should go to. We told her it was no coincidence that we met her, gave her our last Book of Mormon, and got her information. I'll probably never find out what happened with her, but we can have faith and pray that the missionaries who got the referral will have success.

We did some service this week, helping Elmer get his yard under control, and helping the Spanish Branch President move. He gave us his old table, which now replaces our "midget table." It's nice to have a table that your legs can fit under.

We were street contacting a few nights ago and walked past a bar. A lady walked out and started smoking, so we started talking to her. She said she was catholic and believed in Jesus Christ. She agreed that faith and repentance were necessary. We didn't really beat around the bush for too long, I told her something like, "I don't mean to be offensive, but I'm concerned for you because you're at a bar. God doesn't want you here. We're his messengers inviting you to change your life. You can know Jesus Christ better than you know him now. You can be happier if you keep his commandments." She of course, said that this was a very offensive thing to say and told us to go away. Oh well. Nephi said the wicked take the truth to be hard, for it cuts them to the very core. I don't think the prophets of old had it very easy.

At the MCRD, Toby had gone up north. So I hope the missionaries up there were able to talk to him and prepare him for baptism. He should be back next week. There was a baptism this week. I made sure the font didn't flood.

Well, that's about it for this week. I love you all,
Elder Myers