Thursday, September 08, 2005

To California at Last!

Dear Family,

I hope you're receiving the letters I'm sending. I have been writing every week.

I'm flying on Monday the 12th at 6:30 pm. We have 14 missionaries. I've met a few; it should be interesting. I'm getting used to the MTC now, but sadly, and yet happily, it's almost over, and I'm about to have to pretty much start again getting used to everything. I'm not too worried though.

My new address, until I get an actual address, is what I used for a return address on this envelope. (Elder Andrew Myers, California Carlsbad Mission, 785 Grand Ave Ste 202, Carlsbad, CA 92008)

I'll call you on Monday; Grandma said she'll send a phone. I've been working on a tape to send you too.

I'm excited to get out into the field. I guess it's getting scarier, though, as it becomes more and more near. Yesterday during class we talked a lot about the practical parts of the mission with the teacher. He let us ask any questions we had, and it was very useful.

I've spent a lot of time at the RC this week, but didn't really have any inspiring experiences. I got hung up on on an inbound call, which was pretty silly; the lady got offended when I kindly asked if she was Christian while she called in for a Bible. I don't feel bad about it though; I didn't do anything wrong. Two of the 3 other inbound calls accepted missionaries, so I felt successful.

Sister Atkinson send me cookies and Summer sent me a pie this week. They were very delicious.

We learned something very important today. A pamphlet can speak Chinese and teach clearer than us missionaries, but we're there to bring the Spirit. Elder Huey came up with a motto: "Don't let a pamphlet beat you." I think that's a good slogan to strive to live by.

I must be off to dinner. Write back soon and have a great week.

Love,
Andy Myers